As the old fashioned firewall concept has morphed into one that is a multi faceted security perimeter, I have developed a series of questions that can uncover the correct answers to you as you continue to refine and define what the security edge should look like for you. Use the reference architecture for this post that I have built that you can find HERE
From an ease of digestion perspective, I am going to release this in two parts since there are 22 questions. As always, if you have questions email me at email@example.com or post a question to my blog below. Thanks, Bill
Reference Architecture Intelligent Perimeters: Edge Sites, Private WAN, Internet, Public WAN, Cloud Access Control.
Sample Technologies covered are: Firewalls, UTM Firewalls, App Proxy, IDP/IDS, DLP Systems, SPAM Filters, Load Balancers, Content Filters
1. Are DMZs deployed for network segmentation for interfacing with Internet customers, and partners?
2. Confidence level of DMZ on a scale of 1-10. (10 is very confident)
3. Has a detailed cable trace been done to validate the DMZ?
4. Preferred Firewall manufacturer?
•Do the firewall rules explicitly deny traffic to and from the DMZ?
•Is the version level current with the offering of the manufacturer?
5. Are services like Ecommerce sites and other systems hosted in the DMZ?
Are there any concerns about architecture?
6. On a scale of 1-10 does your DMZ match the security policy of the organization?
7. Where does standard VPN access terminate? Have they been reviewed?
8. Firewall – Is it a UTM (Unified Threat Mgmt device) providing IPS, Gateway anti-virus, anti-spyware?
•What is the approach for IPS?
•What is being used for Anti-virus/
•What is the approach used for anti-spyware?
9. Do you have redundancy on the following?
•ISP – inbound
•ISP – outbound
10. Is there a dedicated device for web content filtering?
•For What? Check all that apply? Web, Email, DLP
•Is it AD Aware?
11. How is Anti spam and Phishing handled?